Abortion in Ireland

Firstly I recognise topics like this can provoke a lot of trouble or debate and that's not what I'm trying to do. Furthermore through this passage I am not in any means attempting to influence anyone's opinion or thoughts on this whole predicament. I have simply witnessed various discussions, quarrels and rants about the issue and fancy getting my own viewpoint across. Perfect, now that I'm done being all politically correct here are my theories on the controversy of legalizing abortion in Ireland.
This debate has manifested several times in the past but with our miniature nation fundamentally governed by state law Roman-Catholic principles the concept of legalised abortion in this country never really had a chance to even have its benefits understood. The unjustified tragedy of Savita Halappanavar's death really propelled this issue into the paramount of media and national attention and for the first time it seemed probable that our society was ready to accept change. Yet despite the commotion and uproar generated by this unwarranted example the entire republic are still torn over what stance to take.        

     Legislating abortion to me personally is a no-brainer. Even if abortion was constituted it doesn't denote that every single unplanned pregnancy shall result in a termination. Each woman will still evaluate her options and ultimately decide which one is best for all parties involved. The point I'm trying to make is there should be a choice, some people are for abortion and others are against it. Just because certain individuals don't agree with it does not allow them the excuse to dictate what anyone else feels is the ethical solution to follow. 'Pro-Life' petitioners can still remain firmly against the notion  but just give other citizens the same chance to allow their option heard. If I perhaps got my girlfriend or any other girl unexpectedly pregnant I don't think abortion would be an option I would go for, but nevertheless I cannot make that assumption until I'm faced with that dilemma and if I ever was I'd favour to rightfully have all options available to me.
Lastly the whole suggestion of fetching psychologists to analyse each woman and foresee if she would be mentally eligible for an abortion is one outrageous middle-fingered salute to first-world Europe. How is it acceptable to allow a woman fake a mental disorder to get through the channels hindering her basic privileges? It is against all human rights an individual is entitled to on this planet. Everyone should have the right to decide what he/she wish to transact with their own body. If someone intends to tattoo a symbol on their arm are they required to seek/suffice a psychological assessment? What's the difference from the case I've demonstrated to this abortion taboo? Not everyone in this country believes tattoos are conventional but I don't see a referendum in the pipeline to decommission subsequent ones occurring. 
The majority of the Emerald Isle are still pondering on which of the first two boxes to tick.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see Irish youth like yourself becoming broad minded!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is something Irish people typically lack in but we're getting there slowly.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.