Jurassic Galway

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Patrick has screwed up again. Normally, I don’t need to point this out. That’s what my father is there for. But this time the usual chorus of nagging cannot be overlooked because I've put the lives of multiple children at risk.

I'm always guarded against appearing dramatic, inconsiderate, arrogant, pathetic and any other trait that I consider inseparable from douchebaggery. It has now been confirmed though that I am all those things, and have viable evidence for securing my place in hell.



It all started last Thursday evening, I was emptying scraps of leftover pasta into our outside bin when I noticed something gamboling about behind me. I figured it was the dog from down the road so I threw whatever I had for him* to devour.

Within seconds he bounded forward and I could hear rummaging at the discarded food. He then approached me in a hostile manner, walking upright and stiffly with his head slightly raised.

It was dark out so when I bent down and started rubbing him, I noticed that the hairs were strikingly bristle, especially along the neck and back. He had pricked ears, they were directed forwards, and his eyes had a fixed stare. At this point I became aware that it was not the neighbourhood dog. I squinted to recognise what breed it was, it didn't seem like a domesticated animal. Slumped down the side of the house, it was difficult to see. After initial confusion I realised that it wasn't a dog, and that I was petting a fox.

Can we all take a second to gag collectively?



Panic set in. My heart started pounding, my hands were shaking, and my breathing became tight and restricted. My face went numb and my palms were sweaty. My mind began racing, mentally bracing myself for the newspaper headlines which would be documenting my tragic death the next day. I was fully prepared to curl up in a ball, admit defeat and greet Joan Rivers on the other side.

I was terrified but I knew making sudden movements would encourage him to attack me. I backed away slowly, avoiding eye contact and avoiding escalating the encounter. If he was suspicious of my behaviour he could regard a direct stare as a threat.

Once inside, I instantly locked the back door, because my mindset in that moment informed me he was fully capable of opening it if left unlatched. The evil genius had succeeded in his cunning plan of trickery so an unsecured entrance would be no obstacle. 

After a period of hyperventilating around my kitchen and pacing in circles, I began rigorously washing my hands. I did this for a solid twenty minutes. I tried to wash away the shame, the idiocy, the deception, and the rabies. I used up over half a tub of handwash. I was like an Eskimo applying friction to warm up. My hands were pink the next morning at work, needless to say I received some weird looks.



I've spotted him since, loitering around the place, with this noticeable smirk across his face. He gives me the side eye but I do my best to ignore it. Seeing him in the cold light of day is different, it is not like the night we shared before. I trusted him, I opened myself up to him and now I feel used. He perused me, and I gave him what he wanted. I am such an idiot.

Yesterday, my next door neighbour knocked on the door. He called to warn my housemates and I about the estate's latest resident. He and his wife are both very alarmed by multiple sightings of the wild varmint in their back garden. They have two young children, them and many other locals are not at all pleased with the current situation. Apparently the animal has become accustomed to human interaction. I despair. 

Neighbour: "The bastard is around seeking food, some gobshite must have fed him?" He demanded frantically.     

Ahem,

Patrick, the fox tamer, at your service xo


*I assumed the fucker was male, the sex remains unknown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.