What Defines Success?

Last Tuesday I dealt with a rather unpleasant customer. Throughout the years I've had my fair share of general idiots and I've always coped with their mindlessness with a pinch of salt, a cool manner and a smile. Between the grumpy pensioners, hot-tempered parents, irritating young couples, giddy hyperactive children, screaming babies, holiday makers it's been tough but I've managed like everyone else does, but last Tuesday this one particular gentleman got to me and the weird thing is he probably doesn't even know it. 

I've mentioned before that I currently work part-time as a receptionist, to support myself through college. It's fine, I like my job and for the most part the people are all great. I'm not the first student to be gainfully employed and I won't be the last. On Tuesday this man was perhaps the inquisitive kind, as he took it upon himself to ask me four million and one questions, none of them relating to my job description or down to curiosity but with the intention of patronizing, criticizing and condescending me. Through all the sneering I politely answered all his queries, explaining vaguely my current situation, I didn't have to, but I did. The encounter finished up with him informing me how fortunate I was to not have to work in my current position for the rest of my life, because how I earn my money seemingly needs to be validated by him or anyone else.


(Photo via Liveluvcreate.com)
I don't understand how anyone can be so stuck up and degrading to people who work in these 'unskilled' careers. Thinking we have failed at life or that haven't achieved enough to be anything else. People judging what they deem 'success' on other people. My goal is just to continue being the best possible me I can be and everything else should hopefully work itself out. All I want to be in life is happy, if I'm happy I'm fine, I don't give a shit what I do.

My aunt cleans toilets for a living and she's one of the most upbeat, joyous, elated women I know because she's content doing it. I've done it myself for five solid summers, and although many might curl up into the fetal position at the sheer thought, it wasn't half bad. She for one doesn't need some bullshit title or career to boost her ego, she doesn't feel inferior or insecure in what she's doing, so why should it matter to anyone else, she has nothing to prove to anyone.

One of the most valuable traits a person can have is self-reflection, because if you don't have an ounce of self-reflection, nothing is going to absorb you, like stainless steel. If you're incapable of looking inwards, planting a seed and mastering life experience then you're not as on top as things as you make out. 

As RuPaul says, only Judy can judge me. (Photo via www.cinemablend.com)

Sidetracking slightly but while on this topic, I've noticed especially with teenagers and young adults nowadays there is an unhealthy sense of entitlement, an arrogance or pomposity. You really have to keep yourself in check all the time. Certain people who've been told they're royalty since they were five years old, their entire life they've been placed on this pedestal celebrating how great they are. It's worrying me that people like these won't be able to process that their specific college route that typically extends onto an automatic career path isn't a universal norm, it's a privilege not everyone is lucky enough to have or even want. The bright kid at school who isn't pursuing third level straight away has other factors in their life to consider, not everyone's trail is so clear, there's many obstacles people cannot control. Failure isn't a word that should be applied to human beings.

I've been praised in the past for my patience, but I have no sympathy or tolerance for people that have everything and act like idiots, because if you don't understand gratitude I'm out.

Success in life requires happiness, if accountants, solicitors, doctors are judging people for whatever reason it means they're not fulfilled with their own lives. A person should and can only be defined by their character.

I'm going to have to start quoting John Lennon more often it seems. 

(Photo via Tweeka.deviantart.com)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.